February 13, 2011

Prisoners of the Lost Universe (1983)

Post Battlestar Galactica wasn't a good time for Richard Hatch. It was one low-key movie after another. Prisoners of the Lost Universe was one of those film. I think they might have been trying to play up the Sci-Fi angle here. People that watched BSG would most likely be fans of Sci-Fi and they'd also know who Hatch was. I could see what they were trying to do here. Course he was willing to do it, he wanted to keep eating. John Saxon also shows up in this thing.

Synopsis:  A news reporter, and a repair man get transported to another dimension when a earthquake hits the science lab and sends them tumbling into a matter transporter. They soon find themselves in a strange world that they must fight their way across in order to find the scientist that invented the machine that sent them there in the first place.

This  movie gets panned pretty hard, but it's not all that bad. I know I've said that about a lot of movies on here and you might start thinking I just like anything out on film. That is not the case. There is one movie, that in my opinion is the worst movie ever made, that I have been avoiding reviewing just because I don't know how I can sit through a another viewing of it. But I digress, we aren't talking about that movie yet.

This flick isn't a thinking man's movie, but it really never was suppose to be. It's just suppose to be a fun, PG rated, Sci-Fi adventure movie. It's suppose to be like Star Wars, but with 1/25th it's budget, and 1/125th it's audience. There is even a point where they play a slide whistle when some bad guys fall from a cliff, so this movie isn't taking it's self seriously. It's worth checking out on afternoon when you just want to zone out and have something playing on the TV.

Prisoners of the Lost Universe gets a 4 out of 5 on the chesse-o-meter.

Until next time, see you on the front line.

-Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment