February 16, 2011

Kingdom of the Spiders (1977)


Sometimes the B moves in mysterious ways. This is one of those times. I was sitting around minding my own business trying to decide what movie to review next. As I was channel surfing and thinking this problem over, fate took it out of my hands when I turned to IFC. Wouldn't you know what was on, but the B-Movie 1977 classic "Kingdom of the Spiders." starring none other then William Shatner. I took this as a sign and so here is my review of said movie.

Synopsis: When a local rancher's cows start to die they call in the local Vet played by William Shatner. What they discover is that Spiders have been killing the livestock, and now they've set their sights  on the human population of the town.

This movie is famous, but only because of it's star William Shatner. Star Trek had been off the air for awhile, but TJ Hooker was still a few years off so it was a low point for the Shat man when he did this movie. Although he does it with the Shatner flair that has made him famous.

I'll be honest there are other "Spider Invasion" movies out there that I like better, most notably "The Giant Spider Invasion." Kingdom is, however, about a hundred times better then "Eight Legged Freaks." So it falls someplace between those two extremes. When you take Shatner's overacting, and how serious this movie seems to take it's self despite it's subject matter it does make for a pretty enjoyable watch.

Kingdom of the Spiders gets a 4 out of 5 on the Cheese-O-Meter.

Until next time, see you on the front line.

-Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment